Thursday, October 18, 2007

Bathroom Exit Doors

I fail to understand why there are any exit doors to bathrooms that are "pull-doors". You would think that in a school of higher education, where people have been through 16+ years of school, they would understand the health consequences of a failure to wash hands. But, even in law school, I'd say that 20% of the people (well, men) that use the bathroom don't wash their hands. Thus, when they leave the bathroom, their urine and bacteria get all over the handle to the exit door. And I, who just finished washing my hands, must subject myself to this. All exit doors should be "push-doors", that way I can use my elbow or backside...parts of the body that are less likely to transmit the bacteria to myself or others.

Usually, I wash my hands, dry them, and use another paper-towel to open the door. But, where this isn't possible, I usually either go for the top or the bottom of the handle...places less likely to have been touched as frequently by those nasty people. Can anyone tell me the logic behind having pull-doors for bathroom exits?

15 Comments:

Blogger nyfunnyman said...

after a month off this profound.

the answer may be for space reasons- if right outside the bathroom is a thoroughfare, it would be dangerous for the doors to keep opening.

11:23 AM, October 18, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

answer is to stop using public restrooms altogether. carry a snapple bottle with you.

11:37 AM, October 18, 2007

 
Blogger AlanLaz said...

Tried that once. You'd be surprised how quickly it fills up.

11:40 AM, October 18, 2007

 
Anonymous tameushaw said...

nyfunnyman has the answer I've heard; it's a safety hazard to have a door that opens into a hallway, in case someone walks past right then and the door hits them, or vice versa. So public buildings have to have bathroom doors that open inward. Some buildings get around this by having the door in a small hallway off the main hall; that way it can open out and no one would be walking past.

3:59 PM, October 18, 2007

 
Blogger Jewboy said...

Two words-germa phobe.

6:44 PM, October 18, 2007

 
Blogger AlanLaz said...

Four words - PAY ATTENTION IN CLASS. I should really start bringing scotch to the library and we should have a mid-week KC with me, you, Schmerl, and LZ.

6:58 PM, October 18, 2007

 
Anonymous aishel said...

It's from practical reasons. When you have an emergency and you're RUNNING to go to the bathroom, you don't want to waste precious seconds trying to pull open the door.

8:20 PM, October 18, 2007

 
Anonymous aishel said...

BTW, what happened to your weekly divrei torah?

8:21 PM, October 18, 2007

 
Anonymous danny said...

Was this a guest post by Howard Hughes?

11:40 AM, October 19, 2007

 
Blogger Jewboy said...

When you get to third year you'll stop working hard too, just you wait. Yeah-the thing about law is that it just increases one's alcoholism.

11:54 AM, October 19, 2007

 
Anonymous george weiss said...

how is law school treating you anyway..you facebook profile says your at u balt

im at american U....enjoying it pretty well...been waiting to go for so long after paralegaling such...

the whole 1 test for 100% of your grade is a bit much...but other than that..no so bad

11:20 PM, October 20, 2007

 
Blogger Lydia said...

don't even get me started!!! working in a high school is a GERM infested pool! I KNOW the kids don't wash their hands, and about twice a day - I use antibacterial wipes on my bathroom pass....IN FRONT of a class of kids! I think it helps prove the point that people are GROSS!

9:02 AM, October 30, 2007

 
Blogger AlanLaz said...

Who washes their hands in high school? I thought you didn't need to start doing that until you got to college? Haha...

10:59 AM, October 30, 2007

 
Blogger Lydia said...

And WHY do people think running their hands under cold water counts as washing them?! I actually watched a teacher do this today!? While I was SCRUBBING my hands with soap before running them under the cold water! GROSS

11:27 AM, October 31, 2007

 
Blogger Adam said...

Take a swig of scotch after leaving the bathroom. The alcohol will kill the germs and you'll start feeling pretty good. :)

10:24 PM, November 03, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home