Wednesday, November 21, 2007

The Not-So-Important Law School Review Session

In most of my classes we’re having some sort of “review session”, whether it is taught by the professor or by the teaching assistant. Now, how they fit a semester’s worth of material into 2 hours is beyond me, and I’m of the firm belief that if a person really NEEDS to attend the review session, they probably aren’t going to do very well in the course. But, alas, I will probably attend my review sessions, even though whatever grade I get in each course will likely have nothing to do with whether I attend one of them.

Now, scheduling a review session is very difficult. While we’re divided up into sections, there are a good number of people, including myself, that are in different sections for different courses. So, whatever time is made for the review is likely to be changed three times due to another review session at the same time, or something of the likes. So, to alleviate this problem, my contracts teaching assistant scheduled the review session for that course for next Saturday.

“OH MY GOSH HOW AM I GOING TO MISS THE REVIEW SESSION,” I heard another Shomer Shabbos person say. Well, first of all, I really hope that person wasn’t depending on a review session that attempts the impossible task of going through hundreds of hours of materials in 2. That said, ideally, it would be nice to go to such a review session, just to firm things up. So, why don’t I e-mail him and make him switch it, after all, Saturday is the Sabbath and I can’t drive on the Sabbath?!

Why? I’m a firm believer that we, as Jews, should try to call as little attention to ourselves as possible. Would I likely be able to get him to switch the review session? Sure. Am I likely to piss him, the professor, and the rest of the students in my section off that would need to change their plans for me, all because of a largely inconsequential review section? Guaranteed.

Obviously, if you need to miss class for holidays - and for certain grave injustices, there’s nothing you can do – you gotta speak up. But, I also believe that sometimes you gotta “take one for the team.” Listen, not to sound like the little oppressed Jew that’s looking to everyone for sympathy, but historically, things haven’t been so great for the Jews. We are arguably living at one of the most auspicious times for Jewry in history. We are thriving in America with little-to-no outward persecution, and we have the State of Israel. If I were the one making decisions for the Jewish people, I’d want this “State of the Union” to last as long as possible. Calling attention to ourselves for a largely inconsequential review session would piss many people off, and we don’t want to be known as the type of people that piss people off.

5 Comments:

Blogger Ezzie said...

I always assumed review sessions were a nice way of saying "here are a few of the Q's I'm asking. Know these and you're getting at least a 40-50."

12:42 PM, November 21, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to disagree with you - according to your logic, you should never ask for any accommodation because you're Jewish, and I don't think that's right. State religious discrimination violates the first amendment, and that's the law (I'm not saying having it on shabbos is discrimination, my point is that the laws are there for a reason). To not take advantage of it is naive.

Also, who's to say that they'll know it was a frum person who caused it to be rescheduled? Maybe it was Dave Jones' cousin's wedding?

One more point - why not ask them to record it, and avoid the whole issue?

8:38 PM, November 22, 2007

 
Blogger AlanLaz said...

No, that is not what I'm suggesting. So you think that according to my logic that I would say that if a final fell out on Shabbos that we shouldn't say anything? Of course not.

What I'm saying is that there are certain things you get loud about, and certain things that you gotta take. Obviously, an exam that falls out on Shabbos - you need to say something. A largely inconsequential review session that will inconvenience many as a result of complaining - that's a different story. I'm suggesting a line-drawing approach.

And, I don't think it much matters that religious discrimination violates an amendment. I think there are certain times that Jews could be LEGITIMATELY wronged, yet it would be wiser to keep quiet to prevent a Chillul Hashem and to prevent unwanted attention drawn.

I don't know for sure that they would know it was caused by the frum people, but I know that when things like these have been rescheduled, the cause of the rescheduling has been disclosed. Oh, and they wouldn't reschedule for Dave Jones' cousin's wedding.

Recording is certainly a possibility, although some professors forbid it.

10:21 PM, November 22, 2007

 
Anonymous lawschooldrunk said...

alan, by now you should have realized that law school teaching is very inefficient. you actually CAN take a whole semester of law and teach it in a week! (or a crammed 10 hour session)

going over my outlines, I see what a stupid waste of time class is. it may "teach you how to think like a lawyer" by doing casebook reading of appellate and supreme court cases, but it would be so much more efficient for the teachers to lay down the black letter law- which is why glannon and emanuel are so freakin famous. I know many of people that didn't attend class, read these "crash" books/supplements, and did better than most of the class.

if it were up to me, I'd give glannon as the primary source for class, and the case book as a supplement.

by the way, I didn't go to any of my review classes- BECAUSE THEY WERE ALL ON SHABBOS! since the frum jews probably make up 7 people out of 1,100 students, they never plan for us, which sucks. that's why you go to fordham, cardozo, or brooklyn law :)

11:12 PM, December 10, 2007

 
Blogger Jessica said...

I'm currently an undergrad. The midterm review for one of my classes was on either the first or last days of Sukkos. I asked the teacher if he could just send me an outline of what he was going over (because he had kept stressing that the midterm is ridiculously hard and without the review you'll probably fail). He said to me that I should really come to the midterm and should I decide not to I should just get notes from someone. I still kind of wish I would have made a bigger deal about it, but I ended up getting a B on the midterm without his little study session (or anybody elses notes on the review session)...

10:30 AM, December 17, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home